DAY 5: FOURTH SIN – LUST FOR THE WORLD
Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Spirit of Love of the Father and of the Son,
grant me Your love.
I give You my mind and heart,
so that You would fill me with Your wisdom.
Tear me away from amidst the futility of the world
and lead me into Your hidden chambers,
in which I will forget about the world,
in order to get to know Your mysteries.
Let me rest at Your feet
and listen with anointment to Your whisper.
Fill me with faith so I would not doubt
that the words, which [I read],
come from the mouth of the Most High,
and with bravery, so I would carry them courageously
to the whole world. Amen.
Contemplation of the Holy Scriptures before the conference of the day – 30 minutes
Psalm 26 (25)
- Unto the end. A Psalm of David. Judge me, Lord, for I have been walking in my innocence, and by hoping in the Lord, I will not be weakened.
- Examine me, Lord, and test me: enkindle my temperament and my heart.
- For your mercy is before my eyes, and I am serene in your truth.
- I have not sat with the council of emptiness, and I will not enter with those who carry out injustice.
- I have hated the assembly of the malicious; and I will not sit with the impious.
- I will wash my hands among the innocent, and I will surround your altar, O Lord,
- so that I may hear the voice of your praise and describe all your wonders.
- O Lord, I have loved the beauty of your house and the dwelling place of your glory.
- O God, do not let my soul perish with the impious, nor my life with the men of blood,
- in whose hands are iniquities: their right hand has been filled by bribes.
- But as for me, I have been walking in my innocence. Redeem me, and have mercy on me.
- My foot has stood firm in the straight path. In the churches, I will bless you, O Lord.
TEACHING: Fourth sin – lust for the world
Meditation about the conference – 60 minutes
Lord Jesus: The fourth sin. Another idol that My priests worship is the world with its pleasures, amusements and temptations. The lust of the world is as strong as passion. It contrasts pleasure with the spirit of mortification. Priests want to catch up with the world, they want to impress it, they want to enjoy it and draw from it by the handfuls. Yet, the world is full of dangers, and the priest has to save it. A priest caught by the spirit of the world stops noticing sin. At first, he gets used to it, only to accept it altogether later. By the same token, he loses the sense of his own mission and loses his identity.
A candle that is not lit is not needed by anyone, and for that reason priests get lost in their passions, travels, friendships and ambitions. Not understanding any longer who they are, they strive to give themselves value at all costs, measuring themselves in the categories of the world. Knowledge, possessions and the body become their clout. Education and titles, cars and sports, make the priest interesting in his own eyes. For Me, however, not only they are losing their own identity, but above all their faith and the ability to receive and spread graces into the world.
The priest must live in union with Me. Renew My Sacrifice in his body. Offer himself on the Altar of burnt sacrifice. The Holy Mass should be the center of priestly life. Any other activity is of secondary importance. If a priest breaks away his heart from Me and loses it in the world, the world will quickly convince him of the futility of his sacrifice. For all this is foolishness in the eyes of the world. Thus, the first duty of the priest is to unite himself daily with Me crucified. Searching for My Will and working on establishing a deep and strong bond of our hearts.
The priestly life is the imitation of My life, a life dedicated to God, a life full of mortifications and disappointments. Life spent as an Offering to God. A priest immersed in the world will bear such a life. He will abandon Me, because sacrifices are not possible without a deeper understanding of them. Without faith, the priestly life is a prison full of limitations. With faith, it is a royal life, full of possibility of doing good with the authority and the power of God Himself.
Now take a look at your own heart. How many thoughts in it that distract you in prayer? Write these thoughts down and see how many competitors I have to your heart. See what distracts you from thinking about Me. Make this list during prayer and look at it carefully. There you will see your heart, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Consider if there are places where you go without the priestly dress and why? You do not want to be a priest in these places. You deny Me. These are My competitors. As the spouse takes off the wedding ring prior to a betrayal, so the priest takes off the collar. If you are ashamed of Me before the world, why did you marry Me in the Sacrament of Priesthood? Is it out of love? I have united with you by consecrating you for My Altar. Will I be ashamed of you in the hour of our meeting? How great a shame it will be.
And if you wear My garment, wear it with dignity. Be proud that God Himself wanted you. I chose you for Myself and protected you from the world. If you return to it, you enter it at your own risk that you may stay in it. The grace that you are carrying is preserved in a clay vessel. Remember that you are ash and dust, which I have chosen to rule, reign and overcome the world of evil in human souls. Consider today what is your calling and which of your desires departs from it. Ask Me to take away your desire for anything that is beyond My Will.
Contemplation of the Holy Scriptures after the conference of the day – 45 minutes
Psalm 16 (15)
- The inscription of a title: of David himself. Preserve me, O Lord, because I have hoped in you.
- I have said to the Lord: “You are my God, so you have no need of my goodness.”
- As for the saints, who are in his land: he has made all my desires wonderful in them.
- Their infirmities have been multiplied; after this, they acted more quickly. I will not gather for their convocations of blood, nor will I remember their names with my lips.
- The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup. It is you who will restore my inheritance to me.
- The lots have fallen upon me with clarity. And, indeed, my inheritance has been very clear to me.
- I will bless the Lord, who has bestowed understanding upon me. Moreover, my temperament has also corrected me, even through the night.
- I have made provision for the Lord always in my sight. For he is at my right hand, so that I may not be disturbed.
- Because of this, my heart has been joyful, and my tongue has exulted. Moreover, even my body will rest in hope.
- For you will not abandon my soul to Hell, nor will you allow your holy one to see corruption.
Translated from: Rekolekcje Kapłanskie, na podstawie Orędzi na Czasy Ostateczne które własnie nadeszły, Grzechynia 2018, p. 72-80